Before the guests arrived

August 31, 2018

Our wedding weekend started on Friday night with a meal at Highgrove House Hotel. Most of our guests arrived today and I wanted everyone to meet and have a nice time while they were all in the country. I didn’t take any photos this evening, but we had a lovely meal with great wine. Most of our friends and family went home early. Ida, my Maid of Honour, and I stayed together whilst Howie went home to be there to walk Mumford in the morning.

Ida and I had a lovely time together that evening. I was a little nervous I wouldn’t be able to sleep at all, so I was relieved when I felt tired. I fell asleep around midnight.

A few hours later I woke up thinking I was going to be sick. And truth be told, I was. Twice.

I honestly was so ill, thinking I would never feel normal for my wedding day. It was just awful, like the worst hangover I have ever had. Luckily, Ida never woke up and I managed to go back to sleep for a few hours.

My morning started at 6 am – looking out the window to see the rain pouring down. I remember feeling sad. Nothing but sad. I wanted to cancel all of the plans and move the wedding to the following week. Now, that was never going to happen, so I sort of pulled myself together, and my amazing team turned up at 7am to give us all a makeover. I gathered the troops for hair and makeup, while Ida and myself ran downstairs for a full body massage. I think Ida enjoyed it more than me, as I could only focus on the rain, worrying if my guests would be cold.

Our florist Abbie was working around the clock to make sure all of the flowers were on point, starting to decorate the marquee on Friday evening. I had sent her all of my crazy ideas on a PDF – the rest was up to her. Not once did we ever look at the progress, any photos of the tables, or the bouquet, so when I saw it on the Saturday morning I welled up. It was just so colourful, wild and stunning. Everything I had wanted, and more.

My idea was always to have one specific kind of flower on each table, instead of numbers, and for us to represent all the tables by having the flowers mixed at the top table, and in my bouquet. Hence why I never got to see it before the big day – no one actually knew how anything would look, but we really liked Abbie, and had all faith in her ♥

My hairdo was created by my hairdresser Katie from Rootz in Stewarton. She brought her colleague and together they managed to plait my beautiful headpiece into my hair. It was all hands on deck, as this could not have been done by one person alone. At this point I was eating my full English/Scottish breakfast, but tried not to move too much as you could almost feel the concentration in the room. It was very magical. Although, I was a little bit hungry.

My hairdressers and makeup artist finished before midday, giving us enough time to relax and enjoy what was about to happen. Georgina had finished taking photos of Howie and his best men, and was now in the room with me. That was probably the only time throughout the whole day where I did nothing. We just spoke like friends and the more time I spent with her, the more I liked her. I didn’t actually book Georgina, but when my original photographer had a very unfortunate accident, she recommended her to take her place. So I guess it was meant to be. She travelled all the way from York for us, and was willing to take photos of the animals and never thought of the rain as an issue – which really helped my mood.


I can now hear the guests arriving. I am getting more nervous by the minute but can´t contain my temptation to look outside the window. I tried to hide, just in case Howie (or anyone else) would see me.

It was then time to get into my dress, which was a puzzle in itself. I was told I needed help, to keep my hairdo intact, but this girl never listens. I was in my dress before anyone knew and got stuck. Ida told me off while helping me crawl through and I was finally in. Phew, no damage just yet. The dress is from Unbridal Boutique in Ayr and it was love at first sight. I loved the pearls, pattern, laces, the open neck and the straps around the shoulders. I however, demanded I was a size 10 when Emily ordered it, and it was a little bit too big when it arrived. Tailoring it turned out to be more difficult than first expected, as it had no back or arms, but Elizabeth Wallace in Kilmarnock worked her magic to make it fit. I did lose a little bit more weight which didn’t help the matter, but with a bit of ‘fillers’, it looked lovely.

Georgina took a few photos in the dressing room, and I have to admit, I loved all the photos. It was pretty much raining the whole morning and the weather looked so dull, but the lighting in the photos are just wow. All the space, the light, the furniture and the dress…

It is still raining. A part of me is so upset because of the weather and the other half can´t contain her excitement. This will be the biggest day of my life and I have no idea how it will turn out. So many questions, so many butterflies. But they are all waiting for me now. Me and Rebel. They just don’t know about Rebel yet.

Hillhouse Country House | Unbridaled Boutique | Georgina Harrison Photography | Elizabeth Wallace Bridal | Jay McLoughlan Make-Up Artist | Rootz Hair Salon | Paper White Floral Design |

  • Sveløkken
    September 1, 2018 at 7:12 pm

    Åh, goosebumps! Seriøst, skulle gitt mye for å gjort alt igjen😍 FOR en helg💛

    • Ida
      September 2, 2018 at 9:52 am

      Det er så koselig å høre at du hadde en fin dag 😀 Jeg også skulle ønske vi kunne gjøre alt igjen! Koste meg så mye 🙂

EnglishNorsk bokmål